cynicalreader

Cynical Reader

Give me a happily-ever-after fairy-tale and I'll fight you every step of the way, but give me a tragic, grief-ridden story and I'll let it consume me.

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert I can't even explain how painful it was for me to read this book. It was like those things you do just so you can get it over with, it was like pulling teeth just to pick the book up...simply because I didn't want to leave it unfinished. But after a week of only getting past the first part...I realized, there are way too many good books out there and here I am wasting my time on something that I'm gonna hate and it'll take me 3 weeks to finish, well enough is enough.

Mostly I just couldn't stand the main character, she drove me up the wall with all her whining and bitching and moaning! I wanted to slap her and say "Hey, anyone who has the money and time to travel for a year doesn't have a whole lot to complain about." If I remember correctly despite the mindless reading I had to do just to get through the first part, the thing she was so upset about was not wanting to have a family...? Umm...ok, I'm sure half of American women feel the same way...it's nothing to get your panties in a wad about. To me, she just seemed selfish and close minded, couldn't look at the bigger picture.

I had high hopes for this book, I really really thought I'd like it. Idk, a lot of people did really like this book...I however was not one of them.