cynicalreader

Cynical Reader

Give me a happily-ever-after fairy-tale and I'll fight you every step of the way, but give me a tragic, grief-ridden story and I'll let it consume me.

The Iron Witch - Karen Mahoney The best part about this book for me was the cool looking little bottle shes holding on the cover.

There is absolutely nothing original about this story. There is some YA that I love and there are others that make me wanna shoot myself - The Iron Witch would be the latter. Just another selfish, "tortured", immature, girl trying to play brave and be the big hero. This is also another book where things just work out a little too conveniently to be believable. It's too predictable.

I'm not sure if it's just me getting tired of reading the same ol' thing, maybe I would have liked it if I would have read it before the other million that seem to have the same sequence of events. Why I rated this one so harshly though is because at least those others (that I did enjoy) had something to keep me going, something I wanted to find out, someone I cared about enough to want to know how things went for them. This book did not give me any reason to want to finish it.

As Donna described the voice of the Wood Queen - reading this text was like "nails on a chalkboard". In fact, I have a large headache so I'm just going to give you a few examples of why this was so difficult for me:

Example 1: Selfish
"Perhaps, she told herself, he'd lost his phone in all the worry over his grandfather; that would explain why he hadn't responded to any of her messages. Donna didn't want to think about the possibility that Navin might have had second thoughts about their friendship. Maybe he wasn't adjusting as well as she'd hoped. She ran around the bend, almost knocking over a bag-laden mother pushing a stroller."

Example 2: Sappy, Can't-Live-Without-You, Unrealistic, Love
"Xan looked into her eyes. "Donna, I'm so glad I found you." Her breath caught in her throat. "Hey," she said, trying to keep her voice light. "I found you, don't forget."

This book just wasn't for me. Maybe I need to steer away from the YA and read some books on my age level, but some of these are just getting ridiculous.

(whats up with her collection of "sequined sneakers"?)