cynicalreader

Cynical Reader

Give me a happily-ever-after fairy-tale and I'll fight you every step of the way, but give me a tragic, grief-ridden story and I'll let it consume me.

Firelight - Sophie Jordan In short:

It was okay.
The writing was pretty good.
Liked the dragon stuff.
The romance was rushed and too sappy, It ruined the whole book for me.
I probably won't be reading sequel.

Below is just me ranting about the romance. It's my biggest pet peeve when it comes to books, so I'm sorry if I went on for too long.

pg. 214 of 323:

I'm hating the love story! I just want to yell at Jacinda "You're a fucking dragon, why are you being so needy?!?" The only reason I will continue this is because the Dragon stuff is pretty cool and I'm vowing not to leave a book unfinished this year.

Now I just wish I would have waited to eat after I finished this...the ridiculously over the top codependent relationship they have is making me sick to my stomach...

pg. 229 of 323:

Shoot me! Just shoot me! I don't know how I got this far and now reading one page requires extreme effort. like I said ^above^...it's not the story itself, it's the love story! It's moved waaaaay too fast and the dialog (between Jacinda and Will) reminds me of Twilight (Edward and Bella). And lets face it Most of these series go on for awhile so in reality these author's have a few books to get these things going...so why are they all falling in (I need you, I can't live with out you, but I'm not good for you, and not at all selfish so I'm going to push you away and then proceed to tell you how much I need you again) love?....When they've got 35225698 books to actually make things realistic?

MY RANT ON YA ROMANCE:

Okay, I'm not a "young adult" I just like reading YA. But I can't help but think that this kinda stuff is the reason these girls are going around expecting guys to pour their hearts out to them after a week. We forget that these male characters were written by females! Men don't really act like this...so aren't we just setting these girls up for failure?

pg. 258 of 323

Whoa whoa whoa, stop right there! Did he just say "A hunter in love with his prey." No no, I read it again...he did just say that! I mean, I thought this was a little "Twilightesque"...but really? did we have to go there? I mean, come on!!!